Thursday, June 30, 2011

Tablet Exploration

I just ordered three Archos 7" tablets for my classroom from woot.com for $75 each. Sure it is an older version of the Android OS but all I was wanting it for was basic web browsing and videos. I'll post more about them when I receive them, the are in the mail but I will not get them for a while since I have to double ship them to get them to Alaska. Over the past several years I have toyed with the idea of creating a web based student response system (SRS) but never had the time to create it. At my previous teaching assignment I enjoyed using Quizdom's Q5's but can't justify the expense in my current position. While searching for educational blogs for an Integrating Technology and Education class that I am developing I came across socrative.com which fits the bill of what I was wanting to create.At this point the website is free.

Review:
I spent a few minutes testing out the features of socrative they seem to be well thought out and worked just fine on my desktop and iPod.

Pros:
Cheap as in free
Easily add impromptu questions.
Easy for students to login and learn.
Both asynchronous and synchronous quizzes.
Visually simple design

Cons:
Not sure how long the website will be around.
You have to enter all of the questions.

Conclusion:
Great website that I am looking forward to using in my classroom.


    No comments: